Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring Break

We don't technically have a Spring Break anymore, but Aunt Courtney does and she came to visit so we pretended we were on Spring Break, too! She did not get here until Monday evening (3/14) so we didn't do anything out of the ordinary on Monday.

Tuesday, we were having a new roof put on so we decided that we'd get out of the house and do something fun to escape the loud banging on the roof. I've been wanting to take Caleb to Hermann Park to ride the train and play on the playground so that's what I decided we'd do. In the back of my mind, I thought that it might possibly be busy with it being Spring Break all over the Houston area...but I figured it couldn't be that busy. Boy was I wrong!!!!! It only took us 30 minutes to get there but once we got near the park & zoo it was CRAZY! There was so much traffic, it was rediculous. For some reason, the main road going into the zoo (where we wanted to park) was blocked off and guarded by police officers. I'm thinking maybe the lot was full? This was around 10:30am so the zoo had not even been open that long (it opens at 9am). We circled and circled, got stuck IN the circle roadway, sat in traffic, and couldn't find anywhere decent to park. We did not mind walking a bit, but we could not find anywhere to park within a reasonable distance. I got so frustrated...just ask Courtney! I have never, in my 9 years living in Houston, been that frustrated with a traffic situation. I called Rhett to see if he could look at a map on the internet to find somewhere we could try to park...and we decided that we should just park at a garage in the Med Center, ride the rail to the zoo stop, and walk the rest of the way. By the time we came to this decision, it was about 11:15am and we'd been driving around for 45 minutes. I decided that we'd go eat lunch first and then try again. About this time, Caleb fell asleep so we parked at Chick-fil-A and Court and I took turns going in to get food while he slept in the car. He only slept for about 20 minutes and then we went to try to park again. Again, the road to the zoo was closed and we sat in traffic for another 30 minutes or so. I finally threw in the towel!!

(this is getting long...I need a new paragraph!) :)

Since Hermann Park was a bust and we still didn't want to go home to the roofing noise, we decided to call Stephanie to see what she and the boys were up to. They weren't doing anything so we headed down to Pearland. The cousins were all excited to see each other and played inside for a while. Luke brought down probably every toy with 4 wheels in the house, it was so sweet. He wanted Caleb to have plenty to choose from and I think he secretly wanted to show off all of his cool trucks. Caleb had a great time playing inside with Jake and Luke (and a friend of Jake's). The older boys were getting antsy to get outside so we decided to go play at the neighborhood park down the street. Jake played football with his friend and Luke played with Caleb on the play structure. Both of the boys are really good with Caleb, I must say. We needed to head out to beat traffic, so we left Pearland around 3pm. Caleb napped for probably 30 minutes in the car on the way home...not an ideal day for napping, but I did not think he'd nap through the roofing noise anyway. Despite our wasted attempt at riding the train, we had a fun day getting to visit with Steph, Jake, and Luke.

Wednesday, we drove to Humble to meet mom, dad, Steph, Jake, and Luke for lunch at Saltgrass to celebrate Courtney's 21st birthday (which was 3/10). I can't believe that my baby sister is 21 already! Makes me feel so old! (sorry, no pics)

Thursday, Courtney went to stay at Steph's so we didn't do anything out of the ordinary on Thursday or Friday. Saturday, we met Steph, Jake and Luke (yes, again!) at the Bayou Wildlife Park in Alvin. That was a lot of fun! After that, we went to visit Jackie (mom's sister) and Bill at the house/land they just bought recently in Dickinson...then finally headed home to relax after a long day! I will do a separate post on the wildlife park and ranch because I have so many pictures.

Here are some pictures from playing in the park with the cousins...

No comments: